Good Day Nicola,
It is not required for a person to come to your house to set up your router,
But if you signup for Fibre, someone will come to install the CPE box, that is the only time someone will come to your house.
Provided you have Fibre Coverage, you can sign up for Fibre and after the CPE is installed, please follow the steps below to set up your Fibre router:
Once the CPE box is installed in your home:
- Connect the ethernet cable from LAN Port 1 on the CPE/ONT device (the device that has been mounted on the wall) into the WAN/Internet port on your Afrihost fibre router. Ensure CPE is powered up and lights are showing on the device.
- Then connect a LAN/ Ethernet cable from a WAN port on your fibre router to your computer OR connect wirelessly to the router's network (the 2.5 GHz or 5 GHz one) and the password will be written on a sticker underneath it.
- The ethernet ‘LINK’ light must show on the CPE and the WAN port of your router. If the link light is present, it means that your fibre router is powered up correctly.
- You will then be able to connect to the internet at 10Mbps for 2 hours in order to activate your fibre account.
How to activate your Fibre after installation
Read our How to activate your Vumatel Fibre connection article for detailed instructions.
Read our How to activate your Openserve Fibre connection article for detailed instructions.
All Other Fibre Providers
For all other providers visit activate.afrihost.com and follow the instructions to activate your Fibre package.
Once activated, do the following to set up your router:
- Open your preferred internet browser. Enter 192.168.0.1 into the address bar and press enter.
- You will be taken to a login screen.
For the username enter ‘admin’
Leave the password field empty.
- Click ‘Login’.
- Now click ‘Internet’ and then ‘Internet Connection Setup Wizard’.
- Click ‘Next’.
- Set your preferred password and click ‘Next’.
This will be your password to log into your router’s menu.
- Set the Timezone as ‘GMT : 02:00 Harare, Pretoria’ and click ‘Next’.
- Choose ‘Username / Password Connection (PPPoE)’ and click ‘Next’.
- Enter your Afrihost ClientZone login details below.
Username: Your ClientZone email address
Password: Your ClientZone password
- Finally, click on the ‘Connect’ button. You should be online in about 2 hours.
For further more information on how to set up your fibre router, please follow the link below to our help centre:
You can signup for DSL provided you have Telkom Coverage
How to set up an ADSL router connection
Follow the steps below to set up your router.
- Open your internet browser
- Log into the router. Go to the IP address of your router for example http://192.168.0.1
- Set up your connection using the settings below.
Router settings for an ADSL connection
- Port: 0.
- VPI: Virtual Path Identifier. Should be set to 8.
- VCI: Virtual Channel Identifier. Should be set to 35.
- Service Type: PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE).
- Encapsulation type: LLC.
- Authentication type: Auto.
- Your DNS settings must be set to automatic/dynamic (some routers have the 0.0.0.0 which also means dynamic/automatic).
- Your DSL username/password: as provided by Afrihost (you should have received these via mail, or you can access them through the client zone) this will be a email@example.com.
- Save the settings and restart your router. There should be an option under the settings to restart/reboot without having to use the power button.
You can also sign up for Fixed wireless, provided you have coverage
How to Install & set up your LTE Router:
- Remove the SIM cover of the router.
- Insert the power supply into the power supply source.
- Insert the SIM card into the router and replace the cover.
- Connect the power supply cable to the router.
- Make sure the power light is on.
- Attach both aerials to the router.
Once you have set up the device, you now need to configure your device:
- Open your browser and type 192.168.8.1 into the address bar and press enter.
- Select settings and type in admin for both username and password
- Log in
- Follow the quick setup wizard to check or set network connection parameters step by step.
To ensure the Wi-Fi function is turned on, the WiFi indicator light should be steady on.
The default wireless network name (SSID) and the WiFi Key password is located at the bottom of your router
If you require further assistance, please
send a message to our WhatsApp helpline: https://whatsapp.afrihost.com
or visit our Help Centre: https://help.afrihost.com/
or see our FAQ page: http://faq.afrihost.com